Author: Eva Kosmas Flores
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 2 pounds butternut squash cubed
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon arbor chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cans cannellini beans rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Remove half the pork sausage from their casings and set them aside. Cook the remaining whole sausage links in a cast iron pan over a small campfire, or on the stovetop at medium heat, until the skin is crispy and the sausage is cooked through. Remove, allow to cool, and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside.
- Place the ground sausage in the pan and sauté over the fire until nearly cooked through, stirring every minute. Add the squash, vegetable stock, tomato paste, salt, cumin, chili flakes, chili powder, and turmeric and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cover. Allow to cook for 15 minutes covered, then remove the lid and allow to simmer for another 30 minutes, adding the rinsed beans and sliced cooked sausage during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before sprinkling with the toasted pumpkin seeds and serving.