Recommended by Caroline D., Flagstaff, AZ
Author: Tyler Florence
- 3 large turnips, peeled and cut into uniform chunks
- 1 quart milk
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and gently smashed with the side of a knife
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the turnips, milk, thyme and garlic in a medium saucepan. Set over medium heat and partially cover the pan. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the turnips are tender- the tip of a paring knife should go through without resistance.
- Drain the turnips, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer to a food processor (discard the thyme sprigs). Add about 1 cup of the reserved cooking liquid and the butter, season with plenty of salt and pepper and puree. Add more of the liquid, if necessary. Serve hot.