When we throw food away, we remove important nourishment from the soil nutrient cycle that can be used to grow food and support biodiversity. But food waste in landfills also generates greenhouse gas emissions. In a landfill, food waste undergoes anaerobic decomposition (without oxygen) and generates methane—a far more potent greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide (CO2). In contrast, most home and garden composting is aerobic (with oxygen) and, when done correctly, virtually eliminates methane emissions. Aerobic composting also stores carbon in the soil.
2020 Totals (thus far)
- 15,535 lbs of food waste diverted from the landfill
- 551 buckets (5-gallon) and 124 bins (32-gallon) collected
- 23,803 lbs (10.8 metric tons) CO2 equivalent would have otherwise been generated by the food waste at the landfill.
That’s about the same emissions from using 1,214 gallons of gasoline in a car, or 30,350 miles driven with 25mpg fuel economy.
- 12,014.88 lbs of food waste diverted from the landfill
- 738 buckets (5-gallon) and 12 bins (32-gallon) collected
- 18,409.35 lbs (8.35 metric tons) CO2 equivalent would have otherwise been generated by the food waste at the landfill.
That’s about the same emissions from using 938.88 gallons of gasoline in a car, or 23,472 miles driven with 25mpg fuel economy.
All-Time Totals (Dec 2018 – present)
- 27,819 lbs of food waste diverted from the landfill
- 1,299 buckets (5-gallon) and 136 bins (32-gallon) collected
- 42,625 lbs (19.33 metric tons) CO2 equivalent diverted
Equivalent to about 2,174 gallons of gasoline in a car, or 54,347 miles driven with 25mpg
(The bolded numbers are automatically updated from our records every week.)
We collect food waste from:
- Flagstaff CSA & Local Market Community compost drop-off
- White Dove Coffee
- Potion Tea & Bakery
- Canyon REO
- Late for the Train‘s roastery headquarters
- Pine Forest School
- Deana’s Cocina
- Laura Chamberlin Professional Chef
- a number of residential households
If you’d like to partner for compost pickup, please contact us for details. You’ll save space in your trash can, reduce trips to the landfill, and help us build fertile and resilient soil.
Notes: Carbon dioxide (CO2) equivalent is a quantity referring to the conversion of different greenhouse gases’ warming effects into common “units” of carbon dioxide’s warming effect. For example, methane has a warming effect of up to 34 times more potent than CO2 over a century, so every 1 pound of methane emissions is 34 pounds of CO2 equivalent. Food waste emissions calculations derived from the EPA’s Waste Reduction Model (WARM) and Greenhouse Gas Equivalencies Calculator. The EPA’s WARM calculations are tailored to waste management entities and don’t account for our small vehicle’s transportation emissions. See Project Drawdown’s “Composting” solution page for further references.